Green Card Lawyer Huntington Station - Shankar law

Green Card Lawyer Huntington Station

Easiest Method to get a Green Card


If you fall under one of the following criteria, you may be able to apply for a Green Card. Once you’ve identified the category that might apply to your circumstances, click the linked link to learn more about the eligibility requirements, the application process, and whether or not your family members are permitted to apply with you.


Green Card through Family:

If you are the…

  • A citizen’s close family member
  • Partner of an American citizen
  • Under-21-year-old, never-married child of a U.S. citizen
  • An adult parent of a citizen of the United States
  • A relative of an American citizen, which means you are the:
  • You must be 21 or older and the unmarried son or daughter of a citizen of the United States.
  • Married children of a citizen of the United States
  • A U.S. citizen’s brother or sister who is at least 21 years old
  • Relative of a legal permanent resident, which means you are the:
  • Partner of a permanent resident
  • Under-21-year-old, never-married child of a valid permanent resident
  • Son or daughter of a legal permanent resident who is 21 years old and not married

A person admitted to the U.S. as a fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen (K-1 nonimmigrant)

  • A person who is allowed to the country as the child of a U.S. citizen’s fiancé or fiancée (K-2 nonimmigrant)
  • Married to a U.S. citizen at the time of their death and you are the widow or widower of a U.S. citizen.
  • VAWA self-petitioner who was assaulted or subjected to severe harshness
  • Spouse of a citizen or lawful permanent resident who has been abused
  • Underage, abused child of a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States who is not married.
  • A U.S. citizen’s abused, parent
  • Are an immigrant worker with the first choice, which means that:
  • Possess exceptional talent in the arts, sciences, business, athletics, or
  • Are an exceptional researcher or professor, or
  • meet certain requirements as a manager or executive in a multinational company.
  • Are an immigrant worker with a second choice, which means that:
  • Work in a field that necessitates a graduate degree; or
  • Possess remarkable talent in the arts, sciences, or business;
  • Request a waiver of the national interest
  • Are an immigrant worker with third preference, which means you are:
  • A skilled worker (meaning your position requires at least two years of education or experience in the field), or
  • A professional (meaning you are a member of the profession and your work requires at least a U.S. bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in another country) or
  • An unskilled worker, which means you’ll do a job that doesn’t require more than two years of training or experience.
  • A physician who agrees to work full-time in clinical practice in an identified underserved area for a predetermined length of time and who also satisfies other eligibility requirements is eligible for the physician national interest waiver.
  • Immigrant investor who has invested in or is actively considering investing at least $1,050,000 (or $800,000 in a project that will improve infrastructure or a targeted employment region) in a new business in the United States.

Green Card as a Special Immigrant:

If you…

  • A pious person
  • Come to the United States as a member of a religious denomination to work for a charitable religious organization


  • Juvenile Special Immigrant


  • You are a minor who requires the protection of a juvenile court because you have experienced parental abuse, neglect, or abandonment.
  • National from Afghanistan or Iraq
  • served as a translator or interpreter for the American administration in Afghanistan or Iraq;
  • Had at least a year’s worth of employment as an Iraqi by or for the U.S. government in Iraq on or after March 20, 2003; or
  • Worked for the United States or the International Security Assistance Force as an Afghan (ISAF). Broadcasters come to the United States to work as journalists covering the United States a USAGM or Agency for Global Media
  • An employee of an international organization or family member or NATO-6 employee or family member
  • Are you a retired officer or employee of an eligible international organization or NATO, or are you an eligible family member of such an employee?
  • Green Card via Asylee or Refugee Status:
  • If you…
    • At least a year ago, asylum seekers received their status.
    • At least a year has passed since the refugee was accepted.
  • Green Card for Victims of Crime and Human Trafficking
  • Green Card for Abuse Victims
  • Obtaining a Green Card via Other Categories
  • Through the Registry, a Green Card


As a representative of the U.S. in the media, the U.S. A grantee of the Agency for Global Media (USAGM) or USAGM.


Advantages of a Green Card

weighing the obligations of being a legal permanent resident against the advantages of a U.S. green card.

A U.S. green card enables an individual to reside, work, and begin the naturalization process in the country. The holder of this card is considered a permanent resident of the US and is therefore qualified for many, but not all, of the same advantages as citizens.


More than a million green cards are granted by the American government each year. An estimated 13.9 million people with green cards have legal permanent resident status in the US as of 2019, and 9.1 million of them were eligible to apply for citizenship. Three groups of persons are typically granted permanent resident status: those who already possess a green card and are given a new one, relatives of U.S. citizens or permanent residents, and people in the country on work visas.

A green card provides many advantages, primarily that it allows the green card holder to permanently live and work in the United States, and after several years, become a U.S. citizen.


If you are married to a citizen of the United States, you can petition for citizenship after three years, or after five years if you are not. You could obtain conditional permanent resident status if you recently got married to a citizen of the United States and seek a green card.)


You cannot be expelled from the country of your birth. No matter what modifications to immigration regulations may be made in the future, those who have green cards have their status as permanent residents. A green card is permanent and cannot be withdrawn if immigration laws change. However, a holder of a green card may forfeit their right to remain in the country by committing a crime, breaking the law, or taking any other action that may lead to deportation.


You are not required to give up your citizenship in your home country.


The laws of the United States, your home state, and your local authority all provide you with legal protection. Those who are granted permanent residence enjoy the same legal rights as American citizens.


Other members of your family may be sponsored for a green card. Families of permanent residents are given preference, although not as much preference as families of citizens of the United States. Included on the list of eligible family members are spouses, kids, parents, and siblings (as well as the spouses and children of those spouses, adult children, and siblings).


You can renew your green card every 10 years.


You have easier access to travel to and from the US than other visa holders or recent immigrants. With a current green card, permanent residents can leave the country and come back as long as they do so within a year.


You are free to move anyplace in the United States and travel there. There is no need to contact civil or state government organizations, and state borders are not a restriction.


You are qualified to receive federal benefits like education grants or social security. Applicants for government-sponsored student financial aid must be permanent residents. Additionally, several colleges and institutions grant in-state or resident tuition rates to holders of green cards. A person with a green card who stays in the country for a sufficient amount of time may receive social security benefits.

You can submit applications for a variety of positions. Those with green cards have more employment options than those with work visas. Permanent residents, for instance, are eligible to apply for positions requiring security clearances and/or employment with the government.


In need of a Green Card Lawyer? Shankar Law will assist you the best way we can. Contact us now.