Employment Authorization to certain H-4 Individuals - Shankar law

Employment Authorization to certain H-4 Individuals

USCIS, announced that effective May 26th, 2015 the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will extend employment authorization (EAD) to certain H-4 dependent spouses.

Who is Eligible?

Eligible individual include H-4 dependent spouses of H-1B workers who:

1) Are the principal beneficiaries of an approved I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker; or

2) Have been granted H-1B status under sections 106(a) and (b) of the American Competitiveness

in the Twenty-first Century Act of 2000 as amended by the 21st Century Department of Justice Appropriations Authorization Act. The Act permits H-1B nonimmigrants seeking lawful permanent residence to work and remain in the United States beyond the six-year limit on their H-1B status.

Click on this Link to read the USCIS Release.

Although the regulations will allow EAD to be extended to only certain individuals, it is, nonetheless, long overdue and will benefit the economy greatly.

If you have any questions, please give us a call at 212-461-1467 or visit our website at www.shankarlaw.com.


All comments and/or opinions are for general and educational purposes only, and should not be used as legal advice. In addition any comments and/or opinions do not create an attorney-client relationship. In order to obtain a comprehensive and accurate legal opinion you should consult an attorney with the specific and detailed facts or your case/question.